Turin, What a Spectacle!
A Sunday experience, perfect for those who love culture, that of art and theatre, but also that of cuisine.
On Sunday 18 June 2023, we offer you a tour, between the theatre's performance of 'Madama Butterfly' and oriental food, that will take you on an eye-opening journey, discovering two key venues in the city of Turin: the Teatro Regio di Torino and Ristorante Kensho.
An opera inspired by a true story. In a large port city in Japan, a teenage geisha is sold as a bride to an American naval officer, Pinkerton. The girl, nicknamed Madama Butterfly for her fragile beauty, is deeply in love and unaware that for the man, the marriage is just a game. Butterfly soon finds herself alone and with a child to raise, but her love is tenacious. After three long years, Pinkerton returns to Japan with his real American wife and Butterfly, crushed by disillusionment, hands over her son to the couple and takes her own life.
Through a touching story, the opera, completed in 1904, recounts the encounter and misunderstanding between Western and Eastern culture. The latter is seductively evoked through the use of traditional melodies and exotic instrumental combinations. Songs expressing Butterfly's long wait and unwavering confidence have become famous, such as the aria Un bel dì vedremo and the Act II intermezzo, the delicate closed-mouthed chorus.
Dmitri Jurowski, an acknowledged interpreter of the 20th century operatic and symphonic repertoire, brings out the interweaving of different musical traditions, as well as the sensuality that pervades the opera. A performance with a strong aesthetic and emotional impact the one signed for the Regio by Damiano Michieletto, who brings the story back to the truest and rawest essence of the subject: an affair of sex tourism, set in a large metropolis in East Asia.
Dmitri Jurowski conductor
Damiano Michieletto director
Elisabetta Acella directing
Paolo Fantin sets
Carla Teti costumes
Marco Filibeck lights
Andrea Anfossi lighting revival
Andrea Secchi choirmaster
Orchestra and Chorus Teatro Regio Torino
Staging Teatro Regio Torino
JAPANESE TRAGEDY IN TWO ACTS
Music by Giacomo Puccini
Libretto by Luigi Illica and Giuseppe Giacosa
based on the short story by John Luther Long and the play by David Belasco
Milan, Teatro alla Scala, 17/02/1904
Sopratitoli in Italian/English
Running time: 2h 50'
Included in the experience
- Ticket for the performance "Madama Butterfly" at the Teatro Regio di Torino, Sunday 18 June 2023 h. 15.00
- Dinner at the Kensho Restaurant in Turin
- Tropical Hamachi - Amberjack and avocado ceviche | Passion fruit | frozen coconut balls | shiso in tempura
- Sushi Omakase -10 pcs| Nigiri, Gunkan and Uramaki tasting. The set is created by the imagination of our chefs under your guidelines. Tell us what you like and we will surprise you.
- Grilled O-toro - Tuna Ventresca with Green Egg, Yuzu Kosho, Lime, Marinated White Turnip
- Yuzu Dessert
- Access to the theatre is permitted from 45 minutes before the performance. Once the performance has started, you will no longer be allowed into the theatre until the first intermission.
- You will receive your ticket for the performance at the Teatro Regio, in the entrance foyer at the left-hand accreditation desk.
- The price is per person
- Tickets can be purchased no later than 7 days before the date of the performance
- For further information please contact us on +39 3393374571
- Indicate any allergies and/or intolerances in the notes field
- You will be required to comply with the restrictions in force at the time of the experience
- All Neh Experience and Partners follow anti-Covid regulations
Activities included in the experience
Taste Different - Kensho
Torino - Kensho
MADAMA BUTTERFLY - 18 June 2023 - Sector D
Torino - Teatro Regio Torino
Modify the date up to 168 hours before the experience
Free cancellation up to a week before the experience
24/7 customer support